Officer in Charge
B.Sc. Economics (UWI), M.Sc. Economics (UWI), PhD (Brunel University)
Tel: 662-2002 – ext. 82552
Dave Seerattan is currently a Research Fellow at the Caribbean Centre for Money and Finance, University of the West Indies, St. Augustine. Dr. Seerattan has over 17 years experience as an economist studying developing and Caribbean economies, particularly the financial sector in emerging economies. He has researched and published in areas such as financial innovations, financial regulations, financial market microstructure, global foreign exchange markets, mutual fund performance in the Caribbean, fiscal reforms in the Caribbean and business strategy and competitiveness in the Caribbean. He has been a consultant in the areas of financial market development, regulatory systems for the financial sector, mutual funds performance, interest rate forecasting, business competitiveness and fiscal and debt sustainability in the Caribbean. He holds B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Economics from the University of the West Indies and a PhD Economics from Brunel University London, specializing in money and finance. He has co-authored and co-edited books on Financial Innovations, Regulation of Non-Bank Financial Institutions and Finance and Real Development in the Caribbean. Dr. Seerattan is an Assistant Editor of the Journal of Business, Finance and Economics in Emerging Economies and has served as a member of a number of Trinidad and Tobago Government Cabinet appointed committees on the financial sector.
Seerattan, D. Central Bank Intervention and Foreign Exchange Markets– published in Applied Financial Economics, Volume 19, pp. 1417-1432, 2009.
Seerattan, D. The Efficiency of Central Bank Intervention in Select Caribbean Countries – published in the Journal of Business, Finance and Economics in Emerging Economies, Volume 1, Number 1, 2006.
Seerattan, D. Exchange Rate Regimes and Fiscal Discipline in the Caribbean– published in Social and Economic Studies, Volume 49, numbers 2 and 3, 2000.
Chapters in Books
Seerattan, D. and L. Charles. The Increasing Reliance on Indirect Taxes: Welfare Implications for the Caribbean – Published in The Fiscal Experience in the Caribbean: Emerging Issues and Problems ed. Ramesh Ramsaran, CCMS, 2004, pages 733-777.
Seerattan, D. Tax Reform and Financial Development in Trinidad and Tobago -Published in Finance and Real Development in the Caribbean eds. A. Birchwood and D. Seerattan, CCMS, 2006, pages 195-220.
Seerattan, D. and A. Birchwood. Financial Market Integration, arbitrage and Interest Rate Parity in the Caribbean – Published in Finance and Real Development in the Caribbean eds. A. Birchwood and D. Seerattan, CCMS, 2006, pages 465-481.
Zephirin, M and D. Seerattan. Financial Innovations in the Caribbean, Caribbean Centre for Monetary Studies, 1997.
Nicholls, G. and D. Seerattan. The Regulation of Non-bank Financial Institutions in the Eastern Caribbean Currency Union, Caribbean Centre for Monetary Studies, 2004.
Seerattan, D. and A. Birchwood (eds.) Finance and Real Development in the Caribbean, CCMS, 2006.
CONSULTING AND TECHNICAL REPORTS
- Caribbean Economic Performance Report 2003 – Part of team from the CARICOM Secretariat, Caribbean Centre for Monetary Studies and Caribbean Development Bank that prepared the report for COFAP.
- Member of the Technical Team that Assisted in the Preparation of the Report (the Green Paper) of the Committee Appointed by Cabinet to Review the Financial Sector of Trinidad and Tobago, May 2003.
- A member of the Cabinet Appointed Vision 2020 Financial Services Sub-Committee that prepared the final Vision 2020 Report on the Financial System of Trinidad and Tobago, September 2003.
- A member of the Cabinet appointed Committee that prepared the White Paper on the Reform of the Financial System in Trinidad and Tobago, May 2004.
- Project Leader of Team that Designed and Built a Money Market Interest Rate Forecasting Model for Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobagowith software interface for a Major Player in the Caribbean Money Market, August 2004.
- Part of team that prepared the Study on the Collective Investment Vehicle Industry in Trinidad and Tobago for the Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission and the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago, December 2005.
- Part of team that prepared report on competitiveness and innovation in CARIFORUM countries in relation to the CARIFORUM-EU EPA agreement for CDE/UNIDO, October 2008.
- Monetary Policy Effectiveness in the Caribbean – Objectives, Effectiveness and Challenges - presented at the CARICOM Central Bank Governors Meetings, October 30th, 2009, hosted by the Central Bank of Haiti.
- Report on the Economic Performance and Convergence of the CARICOM Region (January-June 2009) - presented at the CARICOM Central Bank Governors Meetings, October 30th, 2009, hosted by the Central Bank of Haiti.
- Project Leader for project on the Managed Funds Industry in Trinidad and Tobago to be prepared for the Trinidad and Tobago Securities and Exchange Commission 2009/2010.
- A Comparative Analysis of Cross-Border Operations of CARICOM Conglomerates and Other Large Regional Firms and Policy Implications – various sections of this report reproduced in the Caribbean Trade and Investment Report 2010.
- Member of the Regional Financial Stability Coordination Council.
- IADB project on Fiscal and Debt Sustainability in the Caribbean.